Top of the mountain between Norton and Big Stone, just down the old road, where the quarry is now.
Over the past few years I have bought and sold several Rimrock collectibles.
so, where was this place because I've heard of most of my life but don't have a clue where it was
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ5HCIiZ5bM&feature=related"]YouTube - Rim Rock Railroad, Norton, Virginia - 1974[/ame]
[IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]
Top of the mountain between Norton and Big Stone, just down the old road, where the quarry is now.
Over the past few years I have bought and sold several Rimrock collectibles.
[img]http://www.lutte-wrestling.com/old-train2.jpg[/img]
Cool video, thanks for posting it. The locomotive in the video is the one that is now down at Natural Tunnel.
[img]http://www.lutte-wrestling.com/old-train2.jpg[/img]
I went there a few times when I was a boy. Seems like I remember it was on the opposite side of the four lane where you cut off to Hoot Owl Hollow where the dead end road is now. More or less on the mountain top across the four lane near the Powell Valley Overlook.
I remember going on many a field trips to Rim Rock Railroad in elementary school. Got to fly over it when I was little....it was something to see.
[img]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k102/ETWNAPPEL/calgraphic.gif?t=1238543058[/img]
You are correct, it is on the north side of the four lane. If coming from Norton you would turn right off of 23 across from Hoot Owl Hollow Rd and take an immediate left and it is a dead end now. If you can get by with it when noone is around you can still walk up there if I am not mistaken, pretty good hike though. They own 100 or so acres up thru there and there was at one time a small lake on it.
We walked up to it once when I was younger in the 90's and when we finally got up there it was dark and we couldn't see much so I am not sure what all is left. Would love to go up there one day to check it out.
Here is a link of a brochure that I found.
http://www.hagyfawbush.com/frontporc...k_railroad.htm
[IMG]http://www.gifsoup.com/view/926256/tennessee-vols-al-wilson-o.gif[/IMG]
I think George Barnett owned it. He still owns the land. Anyways pretty sure he sold most of the stuff to some place up the interstate from here. They have reassembled the town or railroad.
i prefer the Rimjob, its a very similiar old railroad location in east stone, right up the road from my house, some people have a great website on it, its got wonderful pics and stuff
theres a website, i dont remember it, you just google Rimjob, and hit im feelin lucky and it takes you straight to it
Bookmarks